Dental implants are used as long-term replacements for one or more missing teeth. The process begins with an abutment (post) being placed directly into the jawbone. On top of the abutment, a custom-made replacement tooth is placed and cemented. This creates a strong and long-lasting tooth replacement that looks and feels exactly like a natural tooth.
Benefits of Dental Implants:
- Unlike a dental bridge procedure, adjacent teeth are left untouched
- Prevents bone loss and shrinking gums
- Easier to keep clean than a dental bridge
- Sturdier than removable dentures
Reasons for Dental Implants:
- Replace one or more missing teeth
- Bite issues or pain caused by tooth shifting
- Create a healthy, natural looking smile
- Improve chewing, speech and digestion
- Used to support a bridge or denture
What Does Getting Dental Implants Involve?
Once the abutment (post) is placed into the jaw, it takes 4–5 months for the jawbone to grow around the post to create a solid setting. We will schedule a couple of post-op follow-ops to ensure everything is going as planned. Once the abutment is set, we attach the replacement tooth to complete the implant.
Caring for Your Dental Implant
Upon completion of the dental implant procedure, we will provide full care procedures for your teeth. Proper care and cleaning, along with regular dental visits, will ensure that your new implant remains strong and healthy for years to come.